NameJet has been auctioning off domains of various registrars, one of which is Australian Melbourne IT.
Having won an auction for a domain at that particular registrar, I decided to transfer it out as soon as possible.
Upon logging to my account, I was able to obtain a “registry key” that I assumed it’s the authorization code needed for the transfer out. I also ensured that the domain remained unlocked.
Both my assumptions were wrong.
The code was too short to be an auth code, which I believe has to be of a fixed 16-character length. So I sent off an email to their support via their online form and waited.
Nothing came out of it for three days, upon which I resorted to calling their phone number [888 385 2526]. Although the web site states they are on support 24/7 my call was not answered.
So I resorted to twitter, adding @melbourneit as my contact and tweeting that I needed their assistance. Others seemed to have received support in this manner, judging from the conversations; several complained about the lack of a phone response.
Regardless, Melbourne IT added me on twitter and asked for my username/domain to pass the info onto customer service. Not too long later – it was business hours Down Under – I received an email with the information I needed.
After trying to initiate the transfer out, the domain was found to be locked – despite showing as ‘unlocked’ in my control panel. A second email to the support department resolved the matter and the transfer process started successfully.
Although it was an unconventional – and partially insecure – method of receiving support, I am happy that it worked.
If you need any support from Melbourne IT, add them on twitter or contact email@example.com